Tijani Babangida names Odion Ighalo sport personality of the year

Ex-Nigeria International, Tijani Babangida has joined Nigerians who are heaping praise on Super Eagles and Watford FC striker, Odion Ighalo, as he named him his... sports personality of the year. Disclosing his preferred choice for the most outstanding sports person from the last 12 months, Babangida said he couldn’t see a bigger performer internationally or locally other than the 26-year-old forward and will unabashedly opt for the Nigerian striker. Ighalo finished 2015 with 14 goals in 19 games and has been on a purple patch especially in the last 6 premier League matches, where he has scored consecutively. ‘ Whether internationally or locally, I don’t have any doubts about who my Sports Personality of the Year 2015 is. Odion Ighalo is my choice and anybody can accuse me of picking a country man but he fully deserves it,’ he told Brilla FM. The prolific striker has also received praise from his teammate, Mikel Obi. The 28-year-old Chelsea midfielder told his  club’s official website: ‘I am not surprised Odion Ighalo is doing what he is doing. I have chatted with him and played with him in the national team and I can see the talent he has, and even before I have the ball in those games he is already making his run.’